Co-Presidents of the European Parliament’s Anti-Racism and Diversity Intergroup Pierrette Herzberger Fofana (Greens), Cornelia Ernst (GUE/NGL), Younous Omarjee (GUE/NGL), Monica Silvana Gonzales (S&D), Evin Incir (S&D), Samira Rafaela (Renew), Romeo Franz (Greens) wrote a letter to Ursula von der Leyen, President of the European Commission about denial of racism and police brutality in the EU by the European Commission leaders.
They requested Ms Von Der Leyen to:
- to break the silence and publicly acknowledge and condemn racism in the European Union, including police brutality;
- call on the EU leaders to follow her lead and do the same;
- publicly condemn any denial of racism in the European Union;
- recommend VP Schinas to issue an apology or an explanatory statement where he would recognise severity of systemic and structural racism in the EU; and
- express her support towards all people who experience racism and xenophobia.
MEPs also suggested a meeting to discuss these important issues at her earliest convenience.
Read the full letter here.